What if there are problems with the facility's phones?

If your loved one states there are issues with the telephones at the correctional facility, please have your inmate do the following:

  • Report the issue with a deputy.
  • Complete Securus' Assistance Request Form and turn it into the facility. This form will generate a facility visit from a Securus Technician.

Show All Answers

1. Who is Securus?
2. How much does it cost?
3. What funding options are available?
4. How do I know that it is my inmate calling?
5. What can cause my call to be disconnected?
6. What if there are problems with the facility's phones?
7. Why am I not receiving calls if my account has a positive balance?
8. There seems to be a block on my phone, why is this?
9. I don’t want any inmates calling my phone, how can I have a block placed on my phone?
10. I have question about my bill, who do I contact?
11. I suspect fraudulent activity on my account, what can I do?
12. What if I still have other questions?
13. How do I contact Securus Technologies?