Hiking Plan Worksheet
Beaver County Search and Rescue has a Hiking Plan Worksheet (PDF) for those that are venturing into the outdoors for hiking, camping, backpacking, hunting, fishing, horseback riding and other back country activities. To help the Search and Rescue in case of accidents or emergencies while your in the back country.
Once the form is printed and the appropriate information is recorded, give this form to a responsible person who can help provide the information to Search and Rescue, in the event that you do not complete your trip as scheduled.
Summer time is the time when everyone wants to be out enjoying nature, but it is also the time of year when Search and Rescue is the busiest. 80% of rescues occur between the months of May and September. Beaver County Search and Rescue wants to share some tips with you to help ensure that your outing is as fun and safe as possible.
Before you venture on your trip be aware of the following tips:
- Download and complete a Hiking Plan Worksheet (PDF) and then leave it with a responsible person who can present it to Search and Rescue in the event you do not return as scheduled.
- If you get into trouble, call 9-1-1 as soon as possible. Rescuers usually have to hike into where you are and searching in low/no light situations is often to dangerous and ineffective to conduct, so the more daylight they have for the rescue, the better off it will be.
- Leave early in the morning when it is cooler, thus avoiding the high heat of the day.
- Many areas where people tend to hike have limited or no cell service, therefore it is recommended to also have a GPS device that you know how to use.
10 Essential Items
The following 10 essential items you should always have with you when headed out on a hiking trip, be it a short one or extended one:
- Emergency Shelter
- Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
- First-aid Supplies
- Hydration (extra water)
- Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
- Insulation (extra clothing)
- Navigation (map and compass)
- Nutrition (extra food)
- Repair kit and tools
- Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)